Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Grinding Noise - Terminated!

In my earlier post I had mentioned about the grinding noise emanating from the front right wheel. Today I showed up at Concorde and as usual had a tough time parking the vehicle. Once I found the parking spot, I went in and met the lady who had helped me last time around. She promptly took me to the express service bay and asked the mechanic there to help me.

The first mechanic takes the car for a drive along with me and is kind of not sure whether he is hearing the noise or not. He said it is coming from the engine and that is a normal sound. Actually, I told him that it is not normal and it is coming from the wheels. He then puts up the vehicle on the hoist and they lift my Indie. He rotates the wheels and it does not make any noise. But the noise while driving was so loud that I simply did not agree that there is no noise.

Then shows up this guy who helped me last time with the A/C vents. I should make a special mentioned about this person - John, he walks up to me and smiles and asks me what the problem is. When I described the problem to him, with the vehicle being on hoist still, he just walks out, comes back with a screw driver and pulls back a L shaped metal cover which is protecting the CV joint. He pulls the vehicle down from the hoist and says "Let's drive". We go for a test drive and Lo! the noise is gone.

The noise was coming due to this L shaped brass cover touching the Brake Rotor from the inside (the engine side).

This guy John seems to be a fantastic guy who kind of knows where to look for things based on the description of the problem. This guy gives me confidence that I will have a decent ownership experience all the way upto the extended warranty period - 4 Years/1,50,000 Kms whichever is earlier. 4 Year looks to be realistic to me :P. I think whenever I go there for service, I will specifically ask for John!

My Indie is learning to rock, actually rocking, again!

- Aravind

No comments:

Post a Comment